Friday 13 May 2016

An evening with Jojo Moyes - Me Before You

A lovely goody bag from Marie Claire
awaited us all in the cinema - and of course
a paperback of Me Before You was included
I'm not one for doing things on my own. I do like a natter, some company to share a joke or toast the evening with. But, when my friend called me to say she had just one ticket - and was giving it to me - I couldn't say no. This ticket was for an event in London on Thursday 12th May at Charlotte Street Hotel. Organised by Marie Claire UK, I was given a ticket to a Q&A session with author Jojo Moyes and a preview screening of Me Before You.

Yes, I'd have to go alone but this was an event I couldn't turn down.

As you've probably guessed from my blog, and my own books, Me Before You isn't my usual genre. But, after countless recommendations and an impending film release I knew I just had to read it (I tend not to watch films without reading the book first... with the exception of The Hunger Games). Now, don't get me wrong I am not anti romance or chick lit and every now and then I will read a book outside of my favourite genre - a reading palette cleaner I like to call it.

I won't be embarrassed, I cried.

Not many books have made me shed a tear (My Sister's Keeper and Charlie & Pearl are the only others) but this book made me sob. I loved the language, the description, the relationships and the characters. I don't want to ruin the ending for anyone who hasn't read/watched it yet, but I remember reading the last 100 pages thinking, this could go either way. I really couldn't be 100% sure on where Jojo Moyes was going to take the characters - and the reader.


So when I was given this ticket by an amazingly kind friend, I couldn't wait to ask Jojo Moyes that question - and others about the characters and her writing style. It was fantastic listening to her talk about the book and her involvement with the filmmaking, and I felt very honoured to be there. Even more so when on the day I received a very late email in the afternoon offering me one more ticket - so I didn't have to do it alone after all. My friend and fellow author Georgie Logan came with me - and thank God she did because not only is she great company, but she was also prepared... she had a packet of tissues in her bag.

Me and Georgie enjoyed
a drinks reception before
the Q&A and preview
I think reading the book and watching the film in a short space of time meant that I was still raw with emotion and caught up in the deep relationships of the characters, And so, I couldn't help but cry - again. Emilia Clarke and Sam Claflin - who play Louisa Clark and Will Traynor - were the most perfect pair to be cast for these roles. I loved them.

Read the book and then watch the film.

And, in the words of Will Traynor: "Push yourself. Don't settle. Just live well. Just LIVE."

No comments:

Post a Comment